Hey guys! I hope you all had a great weekend. Missed a couple weeks posting because I had tests, so now that they’re over I am back at it! Today I wanted to share with you guys how I keep my planner. If you can relate, please like this post and leave a comment below letting me know what you do! Also, if you are not already, please subscribe and follow me to get new posts every week (barring exam weeks 😉 ).
I’ve always used planners, but being homeschooled it was never as much of a necessity for me as it is in college. I basically write my entire life in my planners (so don’t peek!) and it really helps me remember everything. I try to remember everything in my head but knowing it’s down on paper really lets me de-stress and let go at night. Also, I know a lot of people keep track of dates and assignments on their phones and using things like Google Calendar. I personally think that writing it down physically helps you remember better. If you’re one of those people, maybe give planners a try, or do both! After all, you never know when your phone is gonna crash and you can’t remember when that paper is due!
So here are my tips for keeping an effective agenda/planner in college!
- Get a really cute planner and stickers! (or, if you’re a guy, get one that’s fun, and stickers too!). Ditch the boring planners, cause unless you’re an excessive artist they are gonna continue to look that boring throughout the year. I got my planner at TJMaxx* (love that place!) and the brand is Fringe*. I have some really fun stickers that I use every so often to a. highlight an important event and b. make my planner look cute.
- Write everything down! Like I said before, I write everything down. And I mean everything…even down to having to clean my room, wash the bedding or charge my phone. It’s a constant reminder. If you only write down things for school you’ll most likely forget to look at it unless you’re in school, making you forget assignments.
- Color code! I use Sharpie* ultra thin tip pens to write notes, and I use them for my planner too! They come in lots of colors, so it’s really fun to use in a planner. You can color code by class, or by assignment type. Do fun things like drawing stars for bullet points and fancy penmanship for that special date! Making your planner so you and making it really fun to do, automatically makes you remember what’s in it.
- In most classes you are given assignment due dates quite far in advance. Use this and write down in your planner what you can in advance, at least a week, so you get a general idea of how your schedule is gonna be.
- I write many assignments down twice. Once on the day I have to do them, or they are assigned, and once on the due date. This makes sure that I see it when I have to do it and also the day before they are due so that I can double check everything that I have to turn in.
Bonus tip: Check items off! This is very encouraging. Especially if you have a big list, go and check things off as you do them. It really makes you feel very good! 😀
So good luck with your planner. And whether you’re in school or not, I encourage you to keep a planner. Heck, even if you say “I’m not a planner kind of person” (my sister), give it a try! You never know if you found your next hobby! (me lol) Here’s some pics of my planner (you can tell the busy weeks from the non busy weeks too!).
*I am not affiliated with any of these brands and the recommendations are based solely on my own opinion.