This is kind of random, but I thought it would be fun to share with you what I like to listen to and what are my current favorite songs (they aren’t in any particular order). Feel free to let me know your favorite songs!
- Rhinestone Cowboy, sung by Glen Campbell (and really all his songs)
- Vincent, sung by Don Mclean
- Home Again, sung by Ashley Campbell
- Scherza Infida, sung by Philippe Jaroussky
- Jesus and Me, sung by Glen Campbell
- Sky Bird/Lonely Looking Sky, sung by Neil Diamond (from the film Jonathan Livingston Seagull)
- A Thing Called Love, sung by Jerry Reed
- Any Old Road Will Take You There, sung by Balsam Range
- On the Road Again, sung by Willie Nelson
- Into the West, sung by Annie Lenox (from the film the Lord of the Rings)
The Italian opera L’incoronazione di Poppea was composed by Claudio Monteverdi in 1643. It portrays a story about the Roman Emperor Nero, his lover Poppea, the empress Ottavia and Ottone, a noble lord. When the queen, due to jealousy, orders the death of Poppea through Ottone, Love protects the victim. The two conspirators are then exiled by Nero, Poppea is crowned empress and once again love reigns.
The last aria in this opera is Continue reading
Scherza infida, an aria from the opera Ariodante, is one of my favorite arias by Handel. It masterfully portrays the sadness and remorse of a deceived lover.
Ariodante is probably Handel’s most famous opera, along with Giulio Cesare and a few others. It is an opera seria in three acts, with music that intimately tells the tragic story. Unfortunately however, after it’s initial success (premiere in 1735 with eleven performances), Ariodante fell into obscurity Continue reading